Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 54 4.4 pounds NEC or is it??

Yes, the title is correct. The Head Radiologist met with Dr. Hadeed and came to the conclusion that they don't think this is NEC after all. They think there is a blockage in her intestines like scar tissue from the medical NEC she had a few weeks ago. They are going to run colored dye down through her intestines and up...I'll leave that part out...to see where and how large the blockage is. Depending on those findings, where and how large, it will result in either a safe place and size needing surgery when she gets older or leaving it alone, or if it is in an unsafe area and size she will need to be flown to Seattle for surgery to remove the area of intestine. We will know by next week what avenue she will be taking.
I was thinking she was coming out of the woods a little bit because she was more alert during her short wake times. Her abdomen is still very large but the xrays are showing that there is just a ton of air. This has happened as a result of the Repogle tube being taken out. It isn't taking the air out for her. She has to pass it on her own. The fluid retention from the TPN and Lipids having been started this week. She is very Ademic when it comes to keeping her fluids. She has gained 11 ounces in the last 4 days as a result from fluids. Her face, neck, hands, feet, legs and bottom are very puffy and large. She looked very different to me today. I'm sure they will administer more Lasix soon to have her pee off the fluid.
Grace finally received a PICC line in her arm, not her leg as thought yesterday. The doctor did this one because she is so hard to get. Third time was a charm.
She graduated from needing the oxygen and air pressure support from the nasal cannula. Her abdomen, though large, isn't pushing up on her lungs to the point she needs help breathing anymore. This is so good! What a breath of fresh air for Gracie!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle! Poor little Gracie! I just got your voicemail that you are back in Seattle! I have 8 minutes left on my cell phone plan for this month until they reset tomorrow, so I can't call you till then. I'm so sorry! You can call me and leave messages or text or email though. gradeamackay@gmail.com

    I don't have your email! Let me know if you need anything and how long you'll be here! xox

    ReplyDelete