Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 16 2.0 pounds

The tables of surgical items...including blood from the blood
bank in the "RUSH" box.
Heart Surgery Day      
It would probably be better to start with last night's findings. Poor little Gracie has really been on a roller coaster ride over the past week. Yesterday, the doctors came to me and said heart surgery is the next step. She had all of the problems that comes from a PDA not closing. Her oxygen was turned up quite a bit, episodes with extreme Brady's and desats, and heart rates accelerating and decelerating. Her heart was failing to do what it needed to do to keep her healthy and thriving.



 The doctor's said they wanted to do the heart surgery on Wednesday. I was o.k. with it because I could see that she needed help. I was grateful for the decision....that is until they said surgery would be first thing on Tuesday morning. I wanted to be strong through everything for me, for John, for Meghan and for little Gracie. I think it hit me on this morning, HARD. Everything came so fast I wasn't able to line up someone with giving Gracie a blessing before her surgery. I felt horrible for that.
Monday night they told me to be up to the NICU an hour before surgery, so that meant arriving there at 6:30 a.m. They put Meghan and I in a parent room for two nights so I could be close for the surgery and also for the first 24 hours. It was so wonderful to be so close.

I met with the surgeon and anesthesiologist just before surgery and was given all the information one would want to know. They were wonderful doctors! I was given time to see Grace and then I had to say "Goodbye". I really needed someone here at that moment. Her nurse, Deb, is so wonderful. She took pictures of the entire surgery for Grace's website. Her hugs have helped me get through all of this.
Prepping for surgery

 Meghan and I ordered breakfast and tried to swallow the icky cafeteria food. I've definitely had my share of this food. Kadlec hospital's food is so much better. The best sight came when the surgeon came walking through the doors with a smile on his face...RELIEF! How do I ever thank a surgeon who basically gave life back to my daughter? I have yet to think of a way. Shaking his hand seemed so inappropriate. Tears didn't seem to help either.

 Words didn't seem to have the effect I thought they would. I was so thrilled to have the a.o.k. to be reunited with little Gracie. Washing my hands and arms to go in seemed to last forever. She looked so good. New blood on board makes all the difference. Her new lease on life seems to be paying off. Her surgery made her look so good. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was how still she would be. They paralyzed her for the surgery because if she even flinched, it could cause the doctor to puncture her heart. She was on total life support so her chest wasn't rising and falling with each breath. The respirator was doing all her breathing. She had lots of pain killer on board so that is good.

Today's progress has been lowering her oxygen to room air again. This is wonderful as that means her lungs are working properly. The PDA prevented this for the past several days. She is finally waking up a little more and it is 12 midnight. She isn't paralyzed anymore either. She is finally starting to breathe a little here and there. The first 24 hours are the hardest and she seems to be doing great!

 We decided to head back to the apartment and free up the parent room for another family who may have needed it.
So many surgical things...so little a patient

Brother Mazurkiewicz came over and gave Gracie a blessing for healing at 5 p.m. tonight. He is so awesome. This is the second blessing he has bestowed upon our family. Once for me two weeks ago and now little Gracie. The amazing thing is that something he said in Gracie's blessing was told to me in one of my blessings, 17 years ago.
Grace all done with surgery
Grace done with her surgery
Gracie after surgery having a check up
Little Gracie after surgery
Visiting Gracie right after surgery.
I'm so thankful for Heavenly Father guiding the hands of all the doctors to heal my little girl. He has protected her in so many ways. What an awesome God we all have! He brings forth miracles if we just look for them. Sometimes they are hard to see but will be revealed in time and others are so obvious at the time they happen.
Good night little Gracie...you are my little hero
This is the respirator showing it is doing all her breathing.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that Deb took all those pictures for you! We were so glad to find out that Grace had made it through surgery OK -- Laura called me at work to tell me it looked like she was doing well.

    The pictures are so hard to look at -- we've got some fairly rough pictures, too. I figure we'll show them to the girls at some point, but not for a long, long while!

    --Damon (a fellow NICU inmate parent)

    ReplyDelete