Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 21 2.8 pounds...still


 Testimony Sunday, Great meal from Seattle 1st ward, Ups & downs with Gracie's oxygen, Mommy gets to hold Grace

This day went by fairly fast. We went to a wonderful testimony meeting at the Seattle 1st ward. Since I was in the very middle of the row with my family on both sides, I felt like it was too difficult to get out to bear my testimony. I'd like to do that here, for Gracie in the future.
"This Sabbath day I can't help but proclaim the blessings Heavenly Father has bestowed upon my family. I know in my heart that all prayers and fasting from people I know and even people I don't, who have heard about Grace, has blessed us beyond measure. I'm grateful for the hands who fixed Grace's tiny, precious heart this past week. Heavenly Father led and guided their hands, just as I prayed for. I'm so humbled to have witnessed a modern day miracle of seeing a successful heart surgery on a tiny 2 pound baby. Having a new lease on life is a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. How awesome is God? As much as I didn't want her to have heart surgery, I feel very honored to have witnessed this miracle. I have a testimony of how very precious and valuable each and every life is. How a 27 week, tiny, micro-preemie can survive...even the earliest 24 week micro-preemie can survive and thrive. It is truly a miracle. It is so amazing how very tiny every detail of Grace is and how perfect she is. Tiny fingerprints, finger nails, toes, mouth and even her belly button. How she'll turn her head and open her eyes to follow my voice, even with all of her breathing apparatuses attached. Amazing and awe inspiring. I don't have to look very far to witness miraculous miracles. I'm amazed at how all these machines keep my baby alive and give her a great chance at life where if they weren't here, she wouldn't be here. I'm so thankful for modern day medicine. Ask any parent in the NICU if they have seen any miracles and I bet you every one of them would tell you about many! I have a testimony of how much we need each other. There have been so many prayers and fasting for little Gracie and I. How do I say "thank you" enough? Imagine how lonely it would be to not have such wonderful friends. Wherever I am, Richland WA or Seattle WA, I have felt so very loved. Actually, I have friends all over who have supported me and my family especially over the past 5 weeks of trials. I love the Relief Society organization. It's purposes are vast and great. Sometimes it is even the small things...like a simple meal, a smile, a letter, a phone call, a hug or even a gentle touch. It may seem small compared to a world vision, but what hits home when you think of love, care and tenderness? This type of care only comes from friends, family and people who are touched by a situation often out of your control. This is when we grow and connect as sisters and friends. I've been very humbled, awed, inspired, and blessed by Heavenly Father's love, care and concern for Gracie and me. He has been there holding Gracie in his hands and close to his heart as he has been also for me. I'm forever grateful for His guidance. The Holy Ghost has given me such peace in an uncertain time in my life. I'm thankful for Jesus Christ giving his life to provide a way to have this guidance from Heavenly Father. I love how Heavenly Father works through many people. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
The Seattle First ward sisters brought over a yummy meal for my family today. Enchiladas, Spanish rice, corn, tortilla chips, chicken strips for the little kids, grapes, tomatoes, salad with feta cheese dressing, sugar free candies and some very yummy Cheerio chocolate caramel squares for dessert. It was so great to be able to just go visit Grace and not have to fix dinner and then go. Thank you!!
Grace "rooting" for her pacifier
Gracie is doing well today, pretty much the same as yesterday. Her oxygen has needed to be raised and lowered all day as she gets used to the CPAP machine. She is doing great though. She is also finally starting to poop. Yes, this is gross, but bear with me...having a GI track start up with micro-preemies is a big step because it wasn't supposed to start working for another 13 weeks, not only that but they also stop working after any type of surgery. So, having her GI track start working is a celebration for several reasons. Yea Grace! I got to hold her for one and a half hours today too. We snoozed off and on...well she snoozed most of the time. I just had her swaddled so I could see her face. Next time...kangaroo care!

She was rooting to the left and right trying to find her pacifier, so I gave it to her and she sucked for a good 5 minutes at least. First time I've seen her root and suck like crazy when she got her pacifier. She is still 2.8 pounds. They think that while she is fighting off all the fluids from surgery, she is also gaining so it all balances out. Fourth day at 2.8 pounds. Hopefully this is turning into her true weight. A steady incline would be wonderful.
Grace just resting off of CPAP. It sort of distorts her head,
flattens her ears to her head, and makes her cheeks puffy
Grace breathing oxygen via blow by
By just a few minutes off of CPAP, her face reshapes

Is this a mischievous look or what?
Just to end on a fun note...what do you get when you pile ten people into a one bedroom apartment? Check out the pictures and you tell me.
Sleeping quarters in the living room (3 of the boys)
Bedroom quarters (Daddy, Samuel and Mommy's beds)
Samuel is now in a port a crib and Mom and Dad
are sleeping Lucy and Desi style....twin beds.
Girls area...tell me...doesn't this look
uncomfortable??

No comments:

Post a Comment