Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 26 2.14 pounds MOVING DAY

(This is Friday's posting...still a few days behind in posting...sorry)

The day has come to move to Richland's Kadlec Hospital. I was so amazed at how smooth everything went once the ambulance team arrived. I got to the Swedish hospital at about 8 A.M. to be there when the team arrived. I changed little Gracie's diaper, helped pack her belongings, (yes she had a bit), checked her temperature, snuggled with her a little and waited. And waited. Then the phone rang. Hmmm...should I answer it? It was the ambulance team. They'll be a little late. Like 11 A.M. Ok, that'll work. I can do a few things. Like saying "goodbye" to the nurses, Dr's, the case worker Jackie, many families I got the privilege to meet, and the nurse practitioners I grew so fond of. Many weren't there but for those who were working that morning it was bitter-sweet. What was my problem? I had so looked forward to this day and then that morning it just turned so bitter. I realized I was going alone...none of them were coming with. They were my NICU family. I have grown to love them dearly. They took such good care of my little Gracie and me. They were there on the good days and the bad days. They comforted me through one of the roughest times with Grace's heart surgery. They hugged and cried with me when my friends baby passed away. They were there to answer SO many questions. They LOVED my daughter and showed it. The bitter had come but the ambulance team had to leave so thankfully they pulled me along with them. The strings were severed and we started the trek home. Goodbye Swedish...Thank you for touching my daughter's heart in many ways and mine. You are great!
      
 Moving day countdown
...TEN...
LEAVING SWEDISH HOSPITAL
                                        
Ambulance team arrived with travel
isolette...check out the machines!
This is her home for the next 5 hours
Starting all the machines and setting
levels
The final minutes of being in Swedish's NICU bed
Getting transferred to the travel isolette...it was very tiny
Getting settled 
Gracie getting her "seat belt" snapped on
This was such a massive machine on
wheels. Monitors above, below and on
each end. Grace is surrounded.
Gracie on her new travelling CPAP
Her first sunshine outside
This unit is so heavy they use a lift
I love this license plate
This is one of their largest ambulances,
you can even stand up inside with room
to spare
Leaving Swedish in Seattle

...NINE...
LEAVING THE CITY OF SEATTLE
This is the harbor I've been looking at for the past 4 1/2 weeks
The first sign for the road we need to take to get home
The water in between the highway shows how it is a "floating
bridge"
The floating bridge
Shows the beautiful green trees outside of Seattle

...EIGHT...
GOING OVER THE CASCADES
Heading over the Cascade Mountain range
Gracie needing a little oxygen coming over the Cascade's

...SEVEN...
THE SOUTH EAST SIDE OF WASHINGTON

The vast changes of scenery on the East side of the Cascades
Mount Rainier under all the clouds
Mount Adams in the very center all snow capped

...SIX...74 MILES
Richland...74 miles 
Potty break at McD's...thought this was a cool pic with Grace's
ambulance in the reflection on the window

...FIVE...31 MILES TO RICHLAND
Richland...31 miles

...FOUR...CLOSER YET
Richland...can't see the miles...but is closer...(smiles)
This mountain looked like sand dunes because it was so
smooth and tan colored. Didn't come out well.

...THREE...STARTING TO GET EXCITED
Richland...16 miles...I think
We are getting close...Grape vineyards everywhere
The sky was solid blue, not a cloud anywhere...makes seeing
airplanes an easy task

...TWO...I SEE OUR CITY
First sign for a hospital...could it be, were we getting close??
Oh yeah!!
Kadlec Hospital...finally! What a great sight!
Unloading Grace at Kadlec
The ambulance entrance was completely at the other end of
the hospital as the NICU. We joked that we should leave
a trail of bread crumbs for the ambulance team to find their
ambulance again.
Just arriving at the NICU. Grace is still in her travelling bed.

...ONE...WE'RE HOME...
Kadlec's team getting all her vitals
Grace feeling out her new headgear with another new CPAP
machine. Third one she has been on, each with different
headgear.
After 4 hours, she gets a break from her headgear. Time to
wake up Gracie! What a big yawn.
Look at her huge "frog belly". Full of air from the CPAP and
not pooping. Looks like she ate a huge Thanksgiving meal, huh?
Gracie getting all comfy after they pulled the air out of her
tum tum.

Just waking up during her next break from CPAP...she loves
mommy's voice. Catch that CUTE and very contagious smile.
She loves her pacifier
 (her nose has a covering over it so the
CPAP nasal piece doesn't actually touch her nose. Helps prevent
sores) 
When I came home, this is what I saw...Thanks! What a great
thing to see after 6 weeks away from home. Our long haul in
Seattle is over. Now the other stage of growth begins! Here
at home and at Kadlec for Gracie.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It must be so much easier to be home! Not to mention being surrounded by all your family.

    Nearly complete turnover in Room 3, now. Once Misty moves on, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you being home! I love your posts. You have a talent, I think.

    I can tell from the pictures that Gracie is growing. She doesn't look quite so fragile anymore. I hope you are doing well.
    Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete