Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 31 2.15 pounds

Blood cell shots, Human Milk Fortifier (HMF), Iron, fluid retention and Yeast Infection


Big day, huh? Poor baby she has had a lot of things going into her today, and they want to add to that....drum roll please...immunizations!! I passed on those right now. If something doesn't go well, I want to know it wasn't the immunizations. 
She'll probably be put on a diuretic medication for her fluids. She gained 3 ounces in one day...not possible with only good weight gain.
This is her first day with the Human Milk Fortifier which was overnighted to the NICU. Like I posted yesterday, it is real human breast milk with all the extra nutrients, vitamins and sugars micro-preemies and early preemies need to grow and not have problems with bones, growth and brain development in the future. (Whew, that is a long sentence)  Usually this HMF's first ingredient is cow's milk but not this one. They think Gracie may have a reaction to the cow's milk so we are going the safe route. She is doing well on it, so far. 
Yeast infection in her diaper area...bum, bum, bummer. This is her second infection in the past 6 days. I sure hope this Nystatin cream works. Maybe I should have bought some of that Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Hmmm...anyone ever use that funny name diaper cream? My thought...How does a little tiny bum get an infection? I mean, it is literally 1 1/2 inches wide! Crazy. No I didn't measure...LOL.

She didn't seem to mind the shot to kick her body into making it's own blood cells. She has to have those every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

She started Iron drops as she is anemic. Funny, this morning, the other nurse voiced how she wanted to take care of Gracie and Gracie's nurse said, "you snooze, you lose." At this NICU whoever gets here early gets their choice of babies to take care of. It was funny to hear this conversation between two nurses who have both had Gracie in the past 48 hours. They say she is one of the easiest babies in that side of the NICU. She doesn't really ever cry. She smiles a lot though. But when she does cry it is for one breath worth and you can't really hear it. I think the nerve from her vocal cords is still stretched from heart surgery. They said that happens and she will be hoarse. I think it is a very cute sound. She is just one content baby girl.

This afternoon I fell asleep with Gracie during kangaroo care and John snapped a picture of us sleeping...great...he better not post it. LOL

Did my first day of school for Emily and Lauren. Joseph was actually a part of it too. He had
 fun. Big sister Katie was taking pictures...guess I need to give her more book work? Maybe I'll just call it photography class time.
Big sister, Lauren, is getting glasses since she sort of flunked her eye exam. She'll be a cute one in glasses. She is so excited to pick out pink ones. 
Anyway, I spent all evening with little Gracie and got her dressed for just a regular holding time, not kangaroo care. She didn't desat at all when I held her upright. Hmm...I wonder if she has tummy problems. That can cause desats. As soon as I tucked her back into bed before heading home, she started desating again. I'll ask the doctor tomorrow. No Brady's or Apnea today though. This is cause for celebration!

1 comment:

  1. You're lucky I can't post a picture here without hijacking your blog (lol). Maybe I should just put it on FB? Grace is a charmer, but maybe they like being Grace's nurse at least a little bit because you do all the work. ;)

    John

    ReplyDelete